The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "extra" - Line: 100 - File: inc/plugins/google_seo/url.php PHP 8.1.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/google_seo/url.php 100 errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/google_seo.php 317 require_once
/inc/class_plugins.php 38 require_once
/inc/init.php 239 pluginSystem->load
/global.php 20 require_once
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $location - Line: 1250 - File: inc/plugins/google_seo/url.php PHP 8.1.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/plugins/google_seo/url.php 1250 errorHandler->error
/inc/plugins/google_seo/url.php 174 google_seo_url_hook
/inc/plugins/google_seo.php 317 require_once
/inc/class_plugins.php 38 require_once
/inc/init.php 239 pluginSystem->load
/global.php 20 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 94 - File: global.php PHP 8.1.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 94 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "lockoutexpiry" - Line: 573 - File: global.php PHP 8.1.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 573 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $can_access_moderationqueue - Line: 749 - File: global.php PHP 8.1.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 749 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 889 - File: global.php PHP 8.1.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 889 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "avatartype" - Line: 889 - File: global.php PHP 8.1.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 889 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $unreadreports - Line: 41 - File: global.php(956) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(956) : eval()'d code 41 errorHandler->error
/global.php 956 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 43 - File: global.php(956) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(956) : eval()'d code 43 errorHandler->error
/global.php 956 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "logoutkey" - Line: 42 - File: global.php(1056) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(1056) : eval()'d code 42 errorHandler->error
/global.php 1056 eval
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(257) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 257 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 160 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 165 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 160 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 165 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.1.14 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Discuss Personal Finance Forum
How much would you work? - Printable Version

+- Discuss Personal Finance Forum (https://discusspf.com)
+-- Forum: Personal Finance Forums (https://discusspf.com/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: General Personal Finance Forum (https://discusspf.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: How much would you work? (/thread-47.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

How much would you work? - FlyEaglesFly - 02-28-2018

A) Would you rather work 12 hours a day, 6 days a week and earn 100k a year (~$21.00/hr)...

OR

B) Work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and earn 40k a year (~$19/hr)?

Conditions:
-The income above would be your only income.
-No side-hustles or additional jobs/incomes.
-You must work that job for at least 10 years.
-All benefits/PTO/etc. are considered equal for the purposes of this question.
-Both jobs require mild physical activity (like walking, bending, occasional light lifting).

(kind of a weird question I know, but it's a fun one)

Me personally I would rather have the opportunity to earn 100k/yr even if I had to work a ton of hours. Because after 10 years I could quit the job and have at least 300k saved up in the bank with which I could buy a home and car brand new with straight up cash and then work another normal job 40 hours a week with no mortgage or car loan payments.

How much would you work? - Martin - 03-01-2018

I'd take the first option also. I am not afraid of work and within my line of work (management/entrepreneurship) which I want to go into, the hours are extremely long anyway. So for me, this wouldn't be a problem.

How much would you work? - Tdog - 03-01-2018

Time is very important guys don't forget that. Unless you're doing something you enjoy you're just wasting your life away. 12 hours a day, and hour driving, 7-8 sleeping. That leaves you 3 hours a day and one day off. If you do that 20-30 you've basically worked the prime of your life away. Me personally I work 30 hours a week and enjoy my life.

How much would you work? - Golddisk - 03-05-2018

Honestly, probably the second option only because the of the extreme time commitment required of the first. I don't mind to work long shifts or more than 40 hours a week at times, but it is not something I would want to do every week for 10 years. Plus, if you think about it, your one day off would be spent working on all the stuff you would need to do around your house so you would have very little time to ever just relax.

How much would you work? - Martin - 03-06-2018

@Tdog I would do this just for the 20 years, be sure to save and invest most of my income throughout this time and then afterwards I could drastically reduce my hours or even possibly retire and just keep my income boosted through stocks and dividends.

How much would you work? - jyy - 03-09-2018

At a young age, working at something you hate could have a payoff. As the OP mentioned, so much is saved up that the person would be living the good life. However, though, at an older age time is very valuable because there is less of it. It's kind of like how going to prison after 40 can be so horrible.

How much would you work? - dionnextherese - 03-11-2018

As long as that I love the work that I do, I'm okay with the first option. The thing is, you should always choose the job that you love.

How much would you work? - Learna - 03-13-2018

[quote quote=745]@tdog I would do this just for the 20 years, be sure to save and invest most of my income throughout this time and then afterwards I could drastically reduce my hours or even possibly retire and just keep my income boosted through stocks and dividends.[/quote]

So, for 20 years no wife, no kids? No taking your wife out to dinner, or the kids to sporting events, the daughter to ballet, the son to football, soccer, baseball practice? All those things require spending time Smile and you're not going to have any working 12 hour days, six days a week.

12 hours at work. An hour and a half to get ready in the morning and go to bed at night. Commute time? An hour or so to eat during the day. Do you work out? Gotta fit that in. Smile

How much would you work? - Martin - 03-14-2018

[quote quote=1110]
Quote:Martin wrote:
@tdog I would do this just for the 20 years, be sure to save and invest most of my income throughout this time and then afterwards I could drastically reduce my hours or even possibly retire and just keep my income boosted through stocks and dividends.
So, for 20 years no wife, no kids? No taking your wife out to dinner, or the kids to sporting events, the daughter to ballet, the son to football, soccer, baseball practice? All those things require spending time [Image: 1f642.svg] and you’re not going to have any working 12 hour days, six days a week.

12 hours at work. An hour and a half to get ready in the morning and go to bed at night. Commute time? An hour or so to eat during the day. Do you work out? Gotta fit that in. [Image: 1f642.svg][/quote]
Don't have kids, don't really intend on having any for the foreseeable future. It'd be a tough 10 years I'm not going to lie (I mean't 10 in the original post not 20), but it would set me up for life if I am smart with it and then can do the other things. 10 years of my life now would only put me to 30.

How much would you work? - xXInfectedXx - 03-14-2018

Time is very important, please, remember that. Unless it's a job you enjoy doing, it's probably best to take Option B. Taking option A will cause sleep deprivation and you won't have time to do the hobbies you enjoy most. You'll still have a good salary on B