Many business professionals experience retirement crisis, even if they already have hundreds of times more in retirement funds than average workers. Although they have more than enough money to finance their retirement period, people can still be preoccupied with worries. Often, they already feel secure with financial status due to the solid savings caches from decades of high paying jobs. Their concerns are often focused on what they should do during the retirement period. While poorer workers regret that they didn’t start saving money sooner, successful business people dread the prospect of doing very little during the retirement period. They have delayed their retirement and want to keep working, but they eventually need to retire due to a number of reasons. It is important for pre-retirees to lay their worries and fears to rest.
Here are things that successful business people need to do:
- Look for the source of stability: Professional careers give people a sense of stability and the predictable daily work schedule is comforting enough for them. In fact, many people miss the daily routines more than they would miss their income. Professionals can still follow the same schedule during the retirement period by doing other things. Look for exciting and productive activities in your local area, then do them on the same schedule.
- Make adjustments to retirement life: It is true that adjusting to retirement period is easier for wealthy professionals, but there’s still a challenge in that. Make a list of things that will change during the retirement period and make a plan on how to effectively address each change. Successful business people are known for their ability to make plans and take decisions, so it should be an easier task.
- Stay connected with colleagues: Successful professionals have established decades of camaraderie at the workplace with loyal colleagues. So, it is worrying having to leave them behind. Fortunately, it is easy to stay connected with former work colleagues if you often have regular leisure activities with them. You need to continue participating in these activities and do things they often do. In reality, during retirement period, many professionals are finally able to re-connect with their family members and they have regret that they don’t spend more time with them in the past.
- Brace for the initial shock: Regardless of your mental preparation and various activity plans, the first retirement day may feel like taking a plunge into an icy lake during winter. In order to minimise the mental impact, you should do exciting things to start the retirement period. As an example, you may spend ten days or more at some tropical beaches.
- Look for a new sense of purpose: Successful professionals are so committed that their career has become their primary purpose in life. A few years before the retirement period, it is a good thing if you can get a new purpose.
- Find new ways to fill idle hours: Business professionals are always busy on the job and during retirement, they often don’t know what to do with their free time. It takes imagination to find out what you need to do to keep yourself busy. If you are being creative enough, you should be able to come up with new activities in life. Many professionals are living to work and they focus themselves on their career for decades. As you are nearing the retirement period, it is a good idea to work to remain happy. You should fill your time with activities that can give you a real sense of purpose.
- Stay healthy: Many professionals are fearful that they will slowly wither and die during the retirement period. In reality, many people manage to have decades of healthy retirement period. If you can stay healthy until 85 years old or more, it means that you have three decades of good retirement period. It is true that ageing will take a toll on our body, so we need to compensate for that by consuming various anti-ageing foods.