Personal Finance Forum: Take control of your finances!

Join our personal finance forum today to discuss investing, budgeting, retirement and more. Ask questions, get tips and share stories to help you reach financial independence. Why DiscussPF? Unlike many social networking sites, you can maintain an anonymous profile here at DiscussPF. That means you can share your personal finance situation without worry of people finding out who you are.
Registration is quick and free, allowing you to participate in discussions across the community with ease.

Free forum software vs Paid?

Free forum software vs Paid?
Free forum software vs Paid? 1
Which type of forum software do you prefer? Free or Commercial/Paid software?

I own licenses for both Xenforo and IPB, however, with the way forums are nowadays and my financial situation I've found it more financial suitable to use a free forum software such as MyBB over IP.Board or Xenforo. The reasoning behind this is because forums sometimes don't work out and tend to go under or financial restraints prevent the admin from keeping the forum up-to-date on the latest version. For my own forums I went with MyBB for this very reason and i'm happy I did thus far. I've made it as close to Xenforo as possible and I'm pretty happy with the results and the software. My members don't seem to mind it either. :Smile Which type of software do you like? Free or Paid?

RE: Free forum software vs Paid? 2
I think paid software is better, because it gives you flexibility to customize as you wish and it gives you the ability to monetize. Plus you always have control over the site. Say the free host decides to close down (as many are), then you are screwed and will have to pay a fee to get all that data transferred (if you're lucky!)

RE: Free forum software vs Paid? 3
If your just starting i think it's better to go for the free ones. It's a good way to see the potential of your venture and check the progress. However once the progress is good, i agree to use the paid ones where you can access more services and features.

RE: Free forum software vs Paid? 4
(06-25-2018, 08:03 AM)fishbate Wrote: If your just starting i think it's better to go for the free ones. It's a good way to see the potential of your venture and check the progress. However once the progress is good, i agree to use the paid ones where you can access more services and features.

I agree with this. It is best to get free software or a trial first to get a feel for what you might expect from the software. In time, if you realize it helps you a lot regarding being productive, then subscribe to the premium version of it (if they offer one). 

Getting paid tools may be good as well because it yields better results since you have access to all of the software features from the very beginning but it all depends on how knowledgeable you are from using it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The blog/forum/website showcase thread Martin 4 506 06-07-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Empire
  Royalty free images Martin 4 186 06-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Empire
  Paid advertising Martin 2 144 05-26-2018, 06:05 PM
Last Post: kingcool52