Discuss Personal Finance Forum
How to not feel guilty all the time? - Printable Version

+- Discuss Personal Finance Forum (https://discusspf.com)
+-- Forum: Personal Finance Forums (https://discusspf.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: The Budget Forum (https://discusspf.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: How to not feel guilty all the time? (/showthread.php?tid=51)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

How to not feel guilty all the time? - Martin - 03-01-2018

Alright, I need to save. However I can still afford to buy things every now and then, in fact, sometimes I need to. However I often feel guilty whenever I do spend some money.

Do you have the same issue? How do you stop yourself feeling guilty for your purchases?

How to not feel guilty all the time? - Tdog - 03-01-2018

If you feel guilty then did you really NEED it?

How to not feel guilty all the time? - dom94 - 03-23-2018

Guilt can often be associated to having done something wrong. It’s funny how some people enjoy spending their hard-earning money, while others feel guilty almost every time they buy something.

I used to have the same issue since eating out, going to movies and drinking with friends is more expensive than having friends over for the same thing. In order to not feel guilty about it, I would often think of it as spending good money to make unforgettable memories. I don’t want to feel guilty for wanting stuff for myself. So in order to that not to happen, I think you should invest at least 10% of your money. This way, you’ll be more relaxed and start building up your net worth. Focus on making more and don’t feel guilty about being guilty. Does that even make sense? Know your priorities and spend right.

How to not feel guilty all the time? - Cyber - 03-23-2018

It's an interesting question. Honestly, the only way I have managed to not feel guilty, and not just in regards to spending is to act in a way that I consider reasonable and not engage in thoughtless purchases or actions.

I haven't yet figured out a way to not feel bad later on if the spending was something I couldn't really afford and unnecessary. Luckily that's probably what largely keeps me from it as well.

How to not feel guilty all the time? - ion - 03-23-2018

Well for me, just enjoy the things you bought. Enjoy every moment with that thing. It's really hard not to feel guilty specially if your plan is to save money, but then you bought something you don't need, but you want. If you saving 10% percent of your income per month, You should make it 20% to the next month, and sacrifice your food allowance, well, just to help you not to feel the guilt.

How to not feel guilty all the time? - Anachiwo - 03-24-2018

In my experience, I'd like to say that anytime that you feel guilty after making purchase of a particular item, then it means that such commodity isn't a need but just a want. So therefore, it's very important that you find a way to differentiate your wants from your needs and spend on the latter, this is the only way that you would stop feeling guilty after making a purchase. You can start with drawing up a priority list on all the items that you need and the ones you want.

How to not feel guilty all the time? - Martinsx - 03-24-2018

I have made several wrong purchases and anytime such things happens, I would get worked up about it feel bad that I had to waste money on what I'm not supposed to spend money on the first time.

But recently, I tried getting to work with my budget and try as much as I could not to go outside it because it's the only way that I still end up buying what makes me feel guilty after buying it.

How to not feel guilty all the time? - jlrei - 03-24-2018

When I was much younger, I was an impulsive buyer and will regret purchasing items afterwards. I learned that through the years, I become more mature with how I choose the items I buy and really think several times before buying. Also, i try to distinguish if it's a NEEDS or a WANT.

You just have to know if it's a priority or not, and try not to spend all your salary. Always save about 10-20% of your salary for future and emergency.

I would say there are times that the products I buy doesn't meet my expectations and not cost-efficient. This is when I feel guilty in buying these things. Well, you learn from your mistakes.

How to not feel guilty all the time? - andrewfi - 03-27-2018

I don't think feeling guilty about spending money is necessarily a bad thing when trying to save. If anything, it shows that your motivation to save is working for you. I think a better way at looking at your case is to form the opinion that guilt is not a negative feeling, rather than looking for ways to not feel guilty.

Psychologically, I think you're going to feel guilty regardless. If you don't save enough, you're guilty. If you save and don't spend enough to cover off your necessities you will also experience feelings of guilt. However, if you appreciate your saving plan is on track and that spending money while doing so is an unpleasant experience, you're setting yourself up for success.

It's also a good practice to remember what exactly it is you're saving for when you make purchases to keep everything in perspective. Personally, I have multiple saving accounts for different aspects of life; retirement, short term, specific goals, etc. I feel guilt when I spend money that won't be going to a more short term goal, but less guilty when its not going into retirement which is so far away.

To conclude, embrace your guilt - it means you're doing a good job!

How to not feel guilty all the time? - vpatella - 04-05-2018

I wonder if you are feeling guilty for legitimate reasons. If you can afford something, why feel guilty about purchasing it? Maybe you could think more about your purchasing decisions before you commit.

I would also suggest planning a detailed budget for yourself. This way I would imagine you would feel less guilty if you were to spend within your budget.

Of course, at the end of the day you might still feel guilty. In this case, I would like to think that there is something deeper going on. Do the things you purchase truly make you happy? Are you prioritizing necessities before niceties?