Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most successful thing you've cut to save?
What is the thing which has proved the most successful in terms of giving you extra money to save after deciding you will not longer buy the thing? For me it has mainly been about avoiding takeaways/food when out and packing my own food and cooking for myself.
DiscussPF Founder & Owner EmeritusĀ  Smile
If you have any feedback please post here.
To me, what I have tried to cut when saving cost is the way that I go to bars to drink. I've cut down the way that I take drinks with friends and that has really made me save some funds which is really great. I've realized that there is need for us to save more funds no matter how little that it is for that is how we get set for the rainy days of the future. One other thing that we should understand about this life is that we should be saving more for a better future.
When I started saving money I also started to cut my lunch food consumption. I'm actually a student in the morning and an online worker in the evening. When I go to school in the morning I don't eat lunch so that I won't spend anything except for the jeepney fare. It's actually very helpful when you're an obese person because it can be classified as a healthy way of burning calories. However if you're not and can't handle hunger, then don't do it. But for me it really worked and I'm satisfied with my body as well as my savings. It's like killing two birds with one stone. Smile
I disabled the contactless feature on my debit card - contactless has been the most successful thing I've cut to save because "it's just swipe and go", with contactless I ended up 80-100 pound a week on takeways and on luxury items. I've also packed my own food from home and not purchased food when out and about, this has made my weekly spend cheaper.
I have cut my movie expenses and restaurant expenses. In the past, I used to go to the movie and restaurant every week and spent around $100 in movie and restaurant bills. However, these days I watch a movie at home and make my own food. Going to the movie and dining in a restaurant was my number one expenses. I have also managed to cut my spending for books by buying ebooks instead of physical books.
I have to say drinking money, in the past I used to drink a lot with my friends in bars, this often costs me $20-$40 per visit and I usually drink out twice a week so that makes it about $150-$200 monthly expense. About 3 years ago I stopped going to bars and whenever I feel like drinking, I just invite my friends at home or drink at a friend's house. This cuts down my expenses to half.

If you want to save money cut down on vices, doing this would save you a lot.
100% for my household it's the eating out and entertainment portion. We mainly cook at home now - it's so much more cost effective, plus we've really broadened our repertoire with things we've learned to cook, so it's like having a new hobby as well. We used to go to the movies a lot, but now we prefer to do outdoorsy activities that don't cost us anything. We've got some great hiking trails in our local area for instance, so we love doing that each weekend when the weather permits it.

Also another thing is haircuts, manicures and things like that. I can't remember the last time I got my nails done professionally, but before I really got budget conscious I'd get them done regularly.
The use of debt. This was mostly thanks to a professor in college who showed the math of how much money you waste, and how many things you canĀ“t buy if you are paying interest on the things you do by.

His demonstration was simple. He took a TV and pretended he bought it on credit. Then in the other example he pretended he saved 1/10 of the price of the TV and bought it for cash after 10 months. The math basically worked out like this. In the first example, he paid off the TV debt after a year. In the second example he bought the TV after 10 months, but then at the 12 month period, he was able to buy a second TV for the same amount of money he paid overall using credit.

He literally got a free TV by doing nothing other than waiting 10 months to buy the first one.

The other big saving thing for me was by cooking instead of going to restaurants. And even furthermore, but not buying prepared meals at the supermarket and instead learning how to cook from the raw materials.
[quote quote=990]What is the thing which has proved the most successful in terms of giving you extra money to save after deciding you will not longer buy the thing? For me it has mainly been about avoiding takeaways/food when out and packing my own food and cooking for myself.[/quote]

Cutting expenses is one of the sign and other issue that you are sacrificing partial of your self for a better of you in terms of financial matter. For me the things I have sacrificed or cut in order to save is the eating out with friends, workmates, relatives and loved ones.Because before there is a tendency that I tend to go out eating outside for about 4-8 times in a month but now I limit myself in the way I should eat out for about 2 times a month. At first it is so self suffocating but in the end when you see the fruits of your sacrifice is worth ti and I then realize that there are a lot of money to save when you are not sacrificing the experience and fun when you are with them . There are a lot of things to do together even not eating out. You can cook on your own. watch television together and a lot of things.

IT is better to go out eat on a fine restaurant in the very special occasion.

Thank you
I have cut down on so many thing to save some money because the principle of saving is putting some money away and without this it become difficult to save,so one of such is cutting away my twice a week moving seeing to just once a week and saving some bucks and again I have stopped buying snacks from the cafe when I get to see a movie, I now take along my home prepared snacks that way I will saving money while using only my home based snacks and not buying any from the cafe.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What % of your income do you save? Martin 38 9,402 06-01-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: whitesno
  Gambling and Lottery Winnings, would you save or spend it? Kakashi2020 29 6,300 06-01-2023, 02:32 PM
Sad Cutting meal to save money Heatman 35 7,219 06-01-2023, 02:09 PM