Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Healthy eating on a budget
A lot of people say healthy eating is far more expensive than eating unhealthily. I'm not sure I agree, at least I haven't experienced it myself. Have you? How do you eat healthy on a budget?
DiscussPF Founder & Owner Emeritus  Smile
If you have any feedback please post here.
Eating healthy is so much more expensive. That's why most people especially in the United States of America, live on fast food. It's cheaper. Currently I'm on a low carb diet and only God knows how I survive. Remember a low carb diet requires more protein and fats.Steak is not cheap.I'm so tempted to go back to a standard diet, but I've seen the results,so I just need to find a way to make more money.
I do agree with you on that eating fast-food is cheaper than cooking your own healthy food at home which is a lot more expensive. Preparing healthy food or eating healthy food in a good restaurant costs 3x to 5x more expensive than just buying fast food nowadays.
I actually agree that healthy eating is quite a cost in your pocket. But I guess, eating healthy can be hard work when you are on a tight budget. Discipline is one way to cover having a healthy lifestyle and eating healthy. Just buy only what you need. So instead of munching on those chips and sinking your teeth into those mouth-watering fastfood burgers, why not spend your hard earned money into same amount for veggies and fruits. And cook at home Wink
Yes that is true, living a healthier life style is some what expensive specially when you are buying healthy foods. To be honest, I couldn't afford spending a huge amount of money for food alone so I made a solution to address this problem. Instead of buying expensive foods in the market, I made a green house and open garden outside my backyard to grew some of the fruits and vegetable that is expensive to buy. Since I live on a place where climate is not hot and suitable for growing tropical fruits and vegetable, I decided to make my own backyard farm and it's a big help to maintain my healthy diet.
My dad had a small garden beside our house. With his garden all you can see are various vegetables that you can easily take care with,in fact we are planning to take care some fish that could live on a small pond, fish that we could cook if they are big enough. I think that is the good idea to start eating a healthy food in a budget. Why not buy if can produce that. Though, at first it take time for you harvest what you sow.
It's actually very easy, probably easier and cheaper than eating junk food since it is actually way more expensive. The thing is that people do not know what healthy food is. So they go out and buy horse meat and turkey breast which is absolutely unnecessary. Get some potatoes, salad and fish and that won't cost you anything, basically Big Grin
I think, healthy eating is cheaper than fast foods and unhealthy stuff. I would rather buy vegetables and all, and cook it myself at home. Here fruits and vegetables are not that costly so we can save a lot of money with healthy eating at home.
Yes! I do have to agree with you on that! Your eating habits affects everything in your health. Making healthy choices are a lot harder to make for example, going to the gym or staying at home, soda or water, salad or fries. It is also easier to blame poor diets on the cost of healthy food. Healthy foods such as fruits and vegetables usually seem to be more expensive than their unhealthy counterparts.

Why? Well, the reason is simple. Healthy foods have higher nutrients and can satisfy you longer. If you truly want to buy healthy foods but are on a tight budget, I suggest you buy your fruits and vegetables in season wherein prices are low. However, there are some people who buy their food at convenience stores and fast-food chains due to lack of time. They usually expect to spend little time in preparing food so they purchase a lot of it pre-prepared. While buying healthy foods will cost you more, going healthy will save you a lot of time and money.
Healthy eating is far too expensive, I do agree. There is a way around this, I live in England and food items get reduced down before the store closes for the night. There still in date but they have to be consumed within in the day, I've seen tubs of fruit go for pennies. There won't always be decreased prices and sometimes you have to make an exception for your health and balance it out - 5 pieces of fruits and veg are suggested.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Learning to budget and track personal spending glykahipe03 31 4,865 06-01-2023, 08:39 AM
Last Post: whitesno