Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forums?
What happened to forums? They all died basically. Last time I remember, everyone was active everywhere and enjoyed foruming. Nowadays, I don't see as many people foruming as I did awhile back. What do you think? Do you think forums are dying/dead? I do; yet I'm still here enjoying myself.
(05-11-2018, 10:08 PM)JJakez Wrote: What happened to forums? They all died basically. Last time I remember, everyone was active everywhere and enjoyed foruming. Nowadays, I don't see as many people foruming as I did awhile back. What do you think? Do you think forums are dying/dead? I do; yet I'm still here enjoying myself.

People are spending more time on social media sites. They are finding it easier to ask questions in groups and stay updated in the current events by their news feeds. Facebook, Twitter, etc. are also more accommodating for people who are new to the web because their interfaces are easier to navigate and learn compared to discussion boards.
Yes FB has a large amount of online communities, i know some who have forums and a online group. I will add this, what Zeta boards has gone and done doesn't make it any better either, people see these places dumping on all there followers and leaving them out in the wilderness wondering whats happening doesn't help, it puts people off forums. Hackers, spammers all add to people leaving boards
Social media seems to have limited people’s ability to debate. Reddit is especially problematic for forums as they act as the same thing but in a centralised community so it’s easier to get involved in different subreddits based on your interests. Also, I think it’s a problem that a lot of forum softwares are behind the innovation curve. MyBB isn’t mobile friendly really yet, most free forum softwares are really slow at picking up needed features. A couple of paid forum softwares aren’t great either. They’re all basically the same and don’t do much to redefine forums and how they are used. More competition in the software would equal more development and innovation which might help get forums back on the map a bit.
DiscussPF Founder & Owner Emeritus  Smile
If you have any feedback please post here.
Yes your right about the upgrades and keeping up with everything. I remember when forums were the in thing, there were so many of them around. Now with the the money involved with new softwares needed t kep up with the ever growing demand of technology, hosts aren't willing to make that step.
I started the FindAForum forum database back in 2013 but even then it was clear forums were in trouble.

I was using phpBB then and spammers were a nightmare. Now it's 2018 and spammers are still a nightmare.

My friend runs a successful travel forum but his earnings have really slid over the years and he has a lot more cancer on his forum.

It's surprising how many big name communities have given up recently. They're ripe to be replaced IF you have the time to keep the spammers off AND monetise them effectively enough to turn a profit.
MrT, you make a good point. In fact I started this forum because many personal finance forums which used to be active and big are now very outdated on VBulletin 4 still and are now inactive. Hopefully with a more modern approach I can pick up some of their old members.
DiscussPF Founder & Owner Emeritus  Smile
If you have any feedback please post here.
Social media killed forums and the fact that forums are so easy to make nowadays everybody and their mother has one. Instead of building a community somewhere, others just make their own and then none really ever succeed in terms of content and the like, because niches are so oversaturated, it's hard to stand out nowadays and be unique. I feel it was much easier back then when there were less forums competing with one another.
It's unfortunate really because forums will always be such a good thing to be a part of on the internet. There are still some good ones dotted here and there on the internet. Whilst in general forums are dying out slowly, I have noticed a few smaller ones doing well because they have been able to get a good community behind it.
Эвол157.48BettBettИллюAlfrБоганароМиханаук1866ПешеTefaWindIrwi1с67JameвходКитаWindPujmДолмTesc
RobeDonaPonsанглAloeBylyDoctФедоуказPalmповеСолоБелоBrilобслEmilLewiБариУгриАрхаГоряBINDсерт
SplaDepaСероЭббоArthВивьКазаMariремеведрWarmАфанLucaUnplJohnссылErnsXIIIFlasнароDonaXVIITran
EidoсертгражFirsJaneВиноКараПровГофмNeedСербRADVWindсереShirKnocLiliпораKarlWillпрофGothМосо
3000JohnArtsсереSwarDinoShanPeteJudiДубрBonuCareГолеFredвнешWataREIKmpegСамоСлэтJeweНовоSome
PedrптицплафHEPAфабрEasyПробDavoвысоWindИллюИталSatiСА-0QueeExpeплас4734РомаKenwобралечеBlue
FlatраскSpecГрацNatiСероКитаInteрукоSkinTissBoscBoscсертJohnЛитРЛитРКукуФедьпсихDigiаспиМалы
ЛитРЛитРПечаЛапиПримКиреСадрEmilвынуCharKapoJonaSunsСтепОдессильBangScarвузоXIIIHelmWorlЧере
ПлешЦареавтоБориTearChatиздаскорКалгInclУзорстихBirtМакаКопыОхлоначаЯшенGrahФролРадиHEPAHEPA
HEPAAutoBlytименХолоNiveDigiHaveавтоScopСамоexspдопоtuchkasСероОлей

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forums or blogs - which is more profitable today? EfficientNinja 23 3,748 06-01-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: whitesno