Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Budget
One of the biggest expenses of a family is food.  Family members eat from 3 to 5 meals a day and depending on the number of ones family, it could cost hundreds of dollars a month.
How much do you normally spend in food monthly?
plan out your meals and see how cheap you can make them.

i love cheap meals like pasta, with fried chopped up tomatos, garlic and then sprinkle cheese on top. also egg,chips and beans, omlettes, fritattas are all cheap. one large mince could make a chilli and a spagbol. i buy frozen veg (casserole veg, sweetcorn, peas, broccoli, usually value range).

i also head to my local tesco express last thing at night and stock up on cheap bakery goods (in my freezer now i have bagels, pittas, wraps, crumpets and hot cross buns the were about 20p).
This discussion reminds me of a family friend who had been dieting. When he was able to lose the target number of pounds, he did not stop dieting. But this time, his reason is the money that he had save and still to save if he will continue being too frugal on the food he eats. He had changed his lifestyle to conform with the meager budget that he allocated for his food. But when it came to the point that he appeared emaciated, that made him realize that he was overdoing his saving money scheme.
Apart from my rent bills, food budget is the most demanding expense that I have no other means to cut down on no matter how much I wanted to because I don't want to have my family and myself malnourished as a result of not eating a well balanced diet.
Food cost the most regarding our family budget. Food expenses (including trips to the grocery store) is about 55% of our monthly allowance. We never eat out and what my mom does is she cooks in the morning, and that is enough for the rest of the day (rice and ulam - the food that goes with rice). I guess we get to save on LPG for doing that. I'm not sure.
I think the food is number one factor in contributing to the expense. You at food four times a day and you spend a lot of money on food. Apart from must have meals like breakfast, lunch, and dinner, you also spend on ice creams, chocolates, cold drinks etc. If you control your food budget, you will control your spending. By controlling food budget, I don't mean cutting expenses for regular meals, but cutting expenses on unwanted foods like junk food, soft drinks etc. If you resort to a vegetarian meal you will save a lot of money on food.
Food and rent are two of the most expensive expenses but adjusting your budget to overcome them will prove very beneficial in the future and will save a lot problems in regards to debt and money shortgae.
I just want to share a great YouTube I've been watching and it's called Struggle Meals, its fun to watch and has good, easy to make, nutritious recipes in it but most importantly it teaches viewers how to plan and cook great tasting meals in a budget.
Here's a link...

https://youtu.be/7WkymPVjnEs
I am a very greedy fellow so I spend about $100US a month on food. I do exercise a lot though so it counteracts my insatiable appetite and stops me from packing on the pounds. I have seen that struggle meal Youtube channel and I admit it has come very creative meal recipes for affordable prices. I do try to eat healthily so I will try one of those dishes.
Food is number needs of a human being. In terms of budgeting, Food is the priority. We can live or survive without food. Same case to everyone, we can not limit the budget in food.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How much do you budget for your medical expenses KellyGeo 33 8,748 06-01-2023, 02:12 PM
Last Post: whitesno
  Do you budget? ghost 34 9,046 06-01-2023, 11:51 AM
  Restaurant Food Cards - Beware of Them jyy 24 2,564 06-01-2023, 10:58 AM